Are you looking to save time as you pack up your classroom, get organized, and conquer your to do lists? With these time-saving end of year tips for teachers, you’ll be ready to start your summer in no time!
End of Year Tip #1: Put Your Students to Work!
Students love to help the teacher, but if you’re anything like me the thought of having students take down your bulletin boards or pack-up your prized possessions makes you more than a little nervous. Worry not – there are lots of jobs that are perfect for keeping your students busy while protecting your supplies and conquering your to do list.
End of Year Student Jobs:
- Conduct a supply inventory – Give your students a list of classroom supplies to count, categorize, and test out. Have your students test out your markers, recycle the markers that are dried out, and make a list of supplies that need to be reordered. Share your supply list with the office administrator before you leave so they can be replenished over the summer.
- Remove the staples – Have you ever had a detail-oriented (nitpicky) administrator who wants every single staple removed from the bulletin boards in your classroom? Well, if you haven’t, you’re one of the lucky ones! But if this is you, worry not – this is the perfect job for busy hands! Just make sure you show your students the proper staple removal technique to protect your boards.
- Organize papers, centers, books, and supplies in piles – No matter how hard we try, stacks of papers just seem to accumulate by the end of the school year. Give your students a list of categories and have them organize the papers, centers, books, materials, and supplies for you. Show them a few examples to help get them started and create an “I’m stuck” pile for anything they’re unsure about.
- Wash the boards – Whiteboards and chalkboards are dirty (even when they look clean). Ask your student helpers to tackle the task of washing the boards. This classic task will help your students feel a sense of pride when they see the boards sparkle!
End of Year Tip #2: Make a Classroom Inventory of Your Boxes!
If there’s something I hate more than packing boxes, it’s trying to find that one thing in a giant stack of boxes. A few years ago, I finally figured out how to avoid the needle-in-a-haystack problem and the solution is so simple – just 3 steps! This is one of my all-time favorite end of year tips for teachers!
Create a classroom inventory/packing list that is easy-to-search!
- Number your boxes/totes.
- Create a spreadsheet with the category and list of supplies for each numbered box/tote.
- Label your boxes/totes with the category (optional).
The best thing about this system is that the spreadsheet is searchable! What’s even better than that? I have created the spreadsheet for you so all you need to do is download and fill it out as you pack!
End of Year Tip #3: Pack a Teacher Desk Tote
Make a quick grab tote with all of your teacher desk essentials! Make a teacher desk tote that has everything you need to set-up your teacher desk and anything you need to grab quickly on the first day back.
Things that go in my Teacher Desk Tote:
- Wireless mouse – I make sure to remove the battery first!
- Batteries (for the mouse, of course!)
- Desk organizer
- Teacher pens – I ❤️ Flair and Ink Joy!
- Sticky notes
- Painter’s tape
- Sticky tack
- Command strip hooks
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Family photos and desk decor
- Desk lamp
- Small screwdriver kit – This comes in handy for many things!
What would you put in yours?
End of Year Tip #4: Make a Summer Prep Folder
Every year I find myself jotting down ideas for centers I want to make, units I want to plan, or new games I want to prep for my classroom. But there’s so little time during the school year! So, each year I create a “Summer Prep” folder in my Google Drive where I save every resource and activity I want to prep over the summer for the following school year. Once the activity has been prepped, I remove it from my “Summer Prep” folder. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! 🍋
What’s on your list of end of year tips for teachers?
Now go and enjoy your summer! ☀️🏖️
But don’t forget to download the FREE Teacher End of Year Organizer before you go! This free Airtable base includes everything you need to get ready for the end of year! Haven’t tried Airtable before? Don’t worry – it’s free and so easy to use! With this free template, you will be able to keep your classroom close-out to do list, classroom packing list, restock supply list, and summer prep to do list organized and at your finger tips. Everything is done for you! Click the link below to download the template: